News & Events
How to begin a career in graphic design
- May 17, 2020
- Posted by: Chance
- Category: Uncategorized
Beginning a career in graphic designer is as easy as learning a few useful software’s such as adobe illustrator and photoshop. Learning adobe illustrator can make you a vector graphics expert allowing you to create resizable art from next to nothing. Adobe photoshop can be useful in scoping out scenes from photos and editing photos.
Graphic designers can bid for jobs and in sites like Artstation, Deviant art or gain sponsors in Patreon. Perhaps getting to the level where you have enough sponsors to fund a career in art or that you get most jobs that you bid for may take time but no skill will be acquired without taking time, commitment and practice. To start graphic design, follow the following steps;
- Have a clear goal of what you want to achieve or where your skill needs to be at before you are satisfied. It could be something as little as a piece of art you wish to create to perfection. This is important as a motivating factor for the road to mastery is anything but easy.
- Decide the platforms to use in creation of art. The adobe software kit provides good tools because of their efficiency despite their difficulty in first use. Other suites like Corel draw are also an option. I would say base your choice on accessibility of the software and of a partner or teacher. Other than that adobe works for me because its many applications can allow you to extend your knowledge easily once you get used to the adobe layout.
- Find a tutorial or course. Courses are good to get you going and serious about design. Certificate courses are even better to allow you proof of skill in case you need it to bid for a gig. Numerous platforms offer graphic design courses Udemy, Coursera, Lynda, Tree top etc and others like Tasksandcrafts provides discounted courses for beginner levels in Udemy, Lynda and Treetop. Visit tasksandcrafts.com/courses/graphicdesign and get top beginner Udemy Illustrator and Photoshop certificate courses at $3.99.
- Sign up to an art platform. There are numerous art platforms such as etsy, deviantart, artstation… depending on the type of art you are making. Deviant art is more widespread and has more starter level art and photography while artstation is more professional and etsy is mainly print art. A platform is important to give you ideas on creations to make. Though please don’t counterfeit artwork. Use the artwork to practice and perhaps even watch tutorials by the creators.
- Bid for works. After you have experience and have made a few pieces you can showcase join artstation, post your artwork and bid for graphic design works available there. Don’t be discouraged by the other more experienced artists even if you miss your first few jobs in time, you’ll get them.
- Create a project or art type and get sponsors on Patreon. Create your personalized art style and make it a project then ask for support at Patreon. With a unique and creative art style you are guaranteed sponsorship.
Easy right. The process may be long and that’s probably why it shall be worth it as most people will quit on the way. Good luck.
Use the following courses to begin Illustrator and Photoshop respectively